NY sues to dissolve Trump Foundation, cites illegal conduct

Share

The New York attorney general has filed a lawsuit against President Trump and three of his children over what she says was "persistently illegal conduct" at the nonprofit Donald J. Trump Foundation, The Washington Post reports.

The legal filing alleges "a pattern of persistent illegal conduct, occurring over more than a decade" including "extensive unlawful political coordination with the Trump presidential campaign".

The lawsuit, filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, also names Trump's children Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump and Eric Trump because they have been board members of the Donald J. Trump Foundation.

The lawsuit seeks to ban the president from serving as the director of any NY non-profit for 10 years, and seeks similar one year bans for each of his children, who serve on the foundation's board.

"The president added: ".Schneiderman, who ran the Clinton campaign in NY, never had the guts to bring this ridiculous case, which lingered in their office for nearly 2 years.

Meghan and Harry announce where they're going on their first royal tour
The couple had shared their first kiss as a married couple on that very same balcony on their wedding day two months previously. Meghan's peach Carolina Herrera gown looked "stunning", says the newspaper, but was deemed "too revealing" for the ceremony.

"The foundation was little more than a checkbook for payments to not-for-profits from Mr. Trump or the Trump Organization", Underwood said in a 41-page complaint filed in NY state court in Manhattan.

The Trump campaign, at the time, said the foundation meant to cooperate with the investigation.

Underwood claims that for more than a decade the foundation "operated in persistent violation of state and federal law governing NY state charities".

Underwood was promoted to attorney general a fews weeks ago, succeeding Schneiderman after he resigned following allegations that he had physically abused several romantic partners.

"This is politics at its worst", the foundation said in a statement.

Civilians Killed in Houthi Shelling of Saudi Arabia’s Jazan
Yemeni security officials say gunmen shot dead a pro-government army colonel in the southwestern city of Taiz. Other attacks on Riyadh have taken place since, the most recent being in May.

The suit also alleges that the Trump charity raised in excess of $2.8m "in a manner created to influence the 2016 presidential election at the direction and under the control of senior leadership of the Trump presidential campaign".

"This resulted in multiple violations of state and federal law", she wrote in the complaint.

Brad Parscale, the campaign's digital director, created a website for the fundraiser, while communications director Hope Hicks helped arrange speakers for the event.

She asked that its remaining $1 million in assets be distributed to other charities and that Trump be forced to pay at least $2.8 million in restitution and penalties.

The lawsuit also notes that in May 2016, the foundation contributed to The Mission Continues, a veterans charity that had been established by Eric Greitens, who was then running as a Republican for governor of Missouri.

Spain fires coach Julen Lopetegui two days before World Cup opener
Spain take on Portugal in Sochi on Friday before facing Iran and Morocco in their other Group B games. Spain have sacked manager Julen Lopetegui just one day before the start of the 2018 World Cup .

Share