A Keurig can quickly become your best friend. It’s one of the easiest and most convenient ways to get your java fix in the morning. However, with daily use, your Keurig can lose a little of its luster. To keep your Keurig performing its best, here’s a quick rundown of how to easily clean the machine.
It’s recommended to do this process 3-4 times a year.
What You Need
- White Vinegar
- A Clean, Dry or Damp Cloth
- Unplug the Keurig machine.
- Remove the washable parts and wash them in warm water. This includes the water holder, K-cup holder in the top compartment along with the drip tray at the bottom.
- Wipe down the rest of the machine with the cloth.
- Put back in the parts you removed and plug it in.
- Fill the water reservoir with vinegar (enough to make at least 4 cups of coffee). Start the brew cycle without inserting a K-Cup. Discard the hot vinegar that’s dumped in the mug. Repeat this until the reservoir is empty.
- Leave the Keurig on for 4 hours. The residual vinegar will breakdown any remaining gunk in your machine.
- Repeat Step 5 again now with just water. This will rinse any last bit of vinegar out of your machine’s system.
Congrats! You’re ready to use your spotless Keurig, and now you don’t have to worry about gross gunk diluting the taste of your delicious coffee.
Here’s a handy video that outlines the process:
Where To Buy The Cheapest K-Cups
I’ve found that Amazon always has great deals on K-Cups. You can find them for as low at 28 cents each. If you do the “Subscribe and Save,” you can save an additional 5%. Here are a few of the best sellers:
- San Francisco Bay, French Roast ($0.28/each)
- Green Mountain Coffee, Breakfast Blend ($0.50/each)
- French Roast Premium Coffee K-Cups ($0.33/each)
- Twisted Pine Coffee Vanilla Chai Latte Cappuccino ($0.54/each)